Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Lost Child

Until today I'd always been referred to as a "child." When my boss asked me "So Komal, do you think you're childish?" I contemplated over that question for a few minutes before I responded.
"I think, I am well in touch with my inner child."

My answer not only left him with no words, but even I was a bit shocked at my reply. If it had been any other day I would have said "I am a child, so obviously I'm childish.

I wonder at what point did I make that transition from "childish" to "well in touch with my inner child." At what point does a child realize that she needs to lock up her dreams, her fantasies, and her wildest imaginations in a box from which she can retain her "inner child" back often or occasionally ?

I often think about the little girl who grew up because the child within her was unappreciated. The child who could never understand the complexities of the ugly realities that present themselves in complex disguises. Perhaps that's what forced the childish Komal to grow up. And perhaps that's the factor which inclines other children to reach for growth before times calls for it.

4 comments:

  1. A legit reply! Growing up is destined..but not being in touch with our 'inner child'..

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's true. sad, but true. sometimes your naivete is snatched away by circumstances you can't control. good or bad, i can't say- but i still feel like a child most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maturity is not about losing the child in you , its about accepting that he will live forever with you :)

    ReplyDelete